The thought of tofu and chili didn’t really go together in my mind. So when my hubby requested a chili with tofu, I looked at him and laughed! But after my initial objection, I became curious to see if tofu in a chili could actually work and thus a most delightful vegan chili was born. It’s amazing! Spicy, flavorful and definitely hearty. The tofu takes on a deep chili flavor and doesn’t break down at all in the chili. I was initially worried it would disintegrate to messy goop, but by using extra firm tofu it held together beautifully. Feel free to add more veggies or beans to the chili. This is my base recipe but you could add green peppers, pinto beans, even zucchini! Serve it over whole grain elbow pasta and you have a fabulous meatless chili!
Let me know what changes or improvements you made to the chili, I love suggestions!!
Spicy Meatless Chili
Makes 6 servings
- 1 (14-ounce) package extra-firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, chopped with seeds removed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15oz) can no-salt-added kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot, combine pepper, onion, corn and jalapeno. Saute in olive oil until veggies just start to soften. Add remaining ingredients including tofu and simmer on medium heat for thirty minutes. Serve over whole wheat pasta!